Tuesday, 24 May 2016

Book Review: Shadowfell by Juliet Marillier

Why I read this: This has been on my Goodreads "to read" list since 2012 and I read it this year as part of my reading challenge to clean out the TBR closet.

Genre: Young Adult Fantasy


In a Nutshell: Quest, good v evil, high fantasy


Would suit fans of: Garth Nix and 


Shadowfell (Shadowfell, #1)Shadowfell by Juliet Marillier
My rating: 3 of 5 stars

In a world where those with magic have gone undergound, been killed, or forced to do work for the King, 15 year old Neryn unexpectedly finds herself on a quest to find the elusive Shadowfell where those with magical gifts can be safe.
This is high fantasy for young adults and very much a quest storyline. It is also a series where the books are all just parts of a whole and don't stand alone. So this book ends with no real conclusion, which is not the kind of series I really enjoy. I also found Neryn a bit frustrating and didn't really feel much of a connection to the characters.
I don't think I will continue with the series, but I can understand its appeal to young adults, particularly those new to Fantasy.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...