Genre: Young Adult Sci-Fi, Dysopia
In a Nutshell: 1984 for a modern audience
Would suit fans of: Deborah Install, George Orwell, Lois Lowry
Rating: 4 stars
Find more about this book on Goodreads here
Review:
I an alternate 1956, Standish Treadwell lives in a society much like today's North Korea. He and his Gramps try to eke out an existence in "Zone Seven" while the Motherland is set to attempt a moon landing to show the rest of the world how almighty and powerful they are.
This book just throws you into this world with no preamble or lengthy descriptions. The chapters are short, sometimes not even a whole page, and throughout the novel is a bit of a side story told with graphics of small insects/rodents at the edges of the pages. I found this novel, at times, a bit head-scratching, but also completely engaging. You will start and finish it the same day. I suppose dystopia that is well done never gets old, and this book is unique in its simplicity.
There are some graphic scenes and foul language, so I would aim this more at older teens.
This book just throws you into this world with no preamble or lengthy descriptions. The chapters are short, sometimes not even a whole page, and throughout the novel is a bit of a side story told with graphics of small insects/rodents at the edges of the pages. I found this novel, at times, a bit head-scratching, but also completely engaging. You will start and finish it the same day. I suppose dystopia that is well done never gets old, and this book is unique in its simplicity.
There are some graphic scenes and foul language, so I would aim this more at older teens.

No comments:
Post a Comment