Thursday, 7 July 2016

Book Review: Mr Wigg by Inga Simpson

Why I read this: I read a review in a newspaper a while ago and I liked the sound of it.

Genre: Contemporary Fiction


In a Nutshell: Australian, character driven, best enjoyed with the heater on and a cup of tea


Would suit fans of: M.L Steadman


Mr WiggMr Wigg by Inga Simpson
My rating: 5 of 5 stars

This is perfection. The best example of Australian writing I can think of.

Mr Wigg is set in the early 1970s in rural Australia. Mr Wigg has lived on the land his whole life with an orchard full of fruit trees and an amazing rose garden. These days, windowed and with failing health, he does his best to tend to his property, and we watch him through short chapters and the seasons tending to his beloved fruit trees and baking with his grandchildren.

This is a story of a "simpler" time perhaps, but not an easier one. There is a Vietnam war happening and controversy over the South African cricket team only having white players. This provides a backdrop for what is a story about family and love. Love for each other, including when it turns into something ugly and full of regret, and for a man's love of his farm.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...