Goldenhand by Garth NixMy rating: 5 of 5 stars
I was so happy when Clariel was released last year because it had been so long since the Abhorsen series was written, and unexpected that we would get a prequel.
And now here we are with Goldenhand, which although chronologically by publication date is book 5, it is really book 4 as it takes place about 6 months after the events of book 3 (Abhorsen).
This is certainly one of those series that has just gotten better with each book, and Lirael was always one of my favourite characters (book 2 being my favourite in the original trilogy). I love Nix's style of writing because it is Fantasy but without unecessary descriptions or dialogue. I read that unlike other Fantasy authors he does not sketch out a world before writing, he just writes and makes notes for himself as he goes about the world. And I think that really comes through for concise novels with good pacing that leave the reader wanting more and loving the characters.
As a side note, I had the audiobook and the narration was very good (but no longer narrated by Tim Curry as the first 3 books were), but the paperback includes a bonus story at the end so is worth getting your hands on.
Also, the story lines for this series are intertwined so you need to read the whole series before starting this, including the short story in Across the Wall: A Tale of the Abhorsen and Other Stories about Nicholas to truly appreciate the book.
Let's hope for a book 6 soon :)
View all my reviews
No comments:
Post a Comment