The Girl in the Blue Coat by Monica HesseMy rating: 3 of 5 stars
Hanneke is 19 and living in Netherlands during the German occupation in 1943. She finds and sells black market goods, but isn't interested in joining the resistance until chance and circumstance lead her to a meeting of other teens who are risking their lives in the resistance. At the same time she becomes borderline obsessed with finding a young Jewish girl whom she has never met, but who disappeared.
I found the historical aspect interesting, but it didn't really offer anything new that I haven't read before in other WWII books. I also found Hanneke quite frustrating and it was not really clear or really believable to me why she would take such a sudden interest into the disappearance of someone she had never met.
Possibly a book better suited to teens who don't know much about WWII and would like to explore some of the stories based upon real events.
View all my reviews
No comments:
Post a Comment