Friday, 5 August 2016

Book Review: At the Water's Edge by Sara Gruen

At the Water's EdgeAt the Water's Edge by Sara Gruen
My rating: 3 of 5 stars

Maddie is married to Ellis, and along with his best friend Hank, the trio are a selfish, spoilt, society set with no thought to WWII raging while they are cocooned in Philadelphia.
On a whim they decide to go to Scotland, and told through Maddie's eyes, this story explores their adventures looking for the Loch Ness Monster in a town where they are unwelcome and disliked. It is only Maddie who seems to start to understand their selfish ways and questions the life she is living.

I didn't like these three characters at all, and as the book went on, I warmed (just a little) to Maddie, but for the most part found her naivety eminently frustrating. The characters at the Inn in Scotland are lovely and well developed and the descriptions of the time period were very good.

The book just really lacked something for me. I didn't dislike it exactly, but I was just never really invested. Sara Gruen is a talented writer, but I much preferred Ape House and Water for Elephants.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...