Wednesday, 30 November 2016

Book review: Faithful by Alice Hoffman

FaithfulFaithful by Alice Hoffman
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

"What is behind you is gone, what is in front of you awaits"
I loved this line from the book because it perfectly sums up the crux of this novel.
Shelby is involved in a terrible car accident as a teenager and shuts herself away from the world. We follow her over the next several years as she copes (or doesn't) with her guilt and anger and slowly reconnects with the world.
This is only my second Hoffman novel (the first being The Dovekeepers) and the novels couldn't be more different in topic, but also I found the writing of this book much more accessible and contemporary. I was surprised to find myself wanting to be friends with Shelby and really caring about her and not wanting to say goodbye at the end of the novel. And for anyone to be able to write characters like that is a real skill.
I recommend this to anyone that loves an easy to read contemporary fiction about life, love and family.
Thanks to NetGalley and the publisher for providing me with an advance copy of this book in exchange for an honest review.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...